What to Do after a Car Accident in Bridgeport

What to Do after a Car Accident Bridgeport 1You’re going about your daily routine when suddenly, you’re involved in a car accident. What do you do? You may be scared or hurt or both. That is why learning what you should do after a car accident is important. Because there are so many car crashes, collisions and accidents every year in Bridgeport and throughout Connecticut it makes sense to be prepared.

Actions You Should Take at the Accident Scene

After an accident, you’ll be scared, in shock and your adrenaline will be pumping. Your first priority must be to ensure that you and your loved ones are safe.

The steps that you should take if you have been in a car accident:

  • Determine if anyone has been injured and needs medical attention.
  • Call 911. Even if the accident is minor, it’s important to file an accident report with the police. Never leave the scene of an accident.
  • Avoid talking about the accident with the other party/parties, including any admissions of fault.
  • Collect the name and contact information for everyone who has been involved in the accident. Don’t forget to note a description (make and model if possible) and license plate number of each vehicle if you can. Get insurance company information from any other party involved in the accident.
  • After you get home contact your insurance company as soon as possible regarding the accident.

According to the Connecticut Accident Guide, you are required to pull over and stop and wait for the police. In Connecticut, all accidents must be reported and failure to stop at the scene will likely result in your arrest.

What if There Are Injuries?

If you’ve been involved in a car accident with injuries, call 911. After calling 911 do not move any injured person in your car or any others unless they are at immediate risk due to fire or other life-threatening situations. Do what you can to provide comfort to the injured person.

It’s always a good idea to be aware of the Connecticut Good Samaritan Law, which provides information regarding protection and immunity from civil damages when engaging in what are considered acts of ordinary negligence while providing non-professional emergency medical services.

What to Do after a Car Accident Bridgeport 2If you have been involved in an accident and need your legal rights protected, or you have been injured and need to file a claim, attorney Jim Miron can provide you with the information you need.

Attorney Jim Miron has over 23 years of experience in not only ensuring that innocent parties are protected and represented but also providing motor vehicle offense defense representation. DO not delay! There are time limits in Connecticut to make a claim. Call 203.3395991 or toll free at 1.844.44MIRON (1.844.446.4766) for a free consultation.